Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Potty Training

Whoever said potty training/ house training was easy? I don't think so.

First Potty accident: On our first day home. As I said on my previous post, I just went out for a bit and Chloe had a potty accident on the floor mat. Second accident, third, fourth, fifth, i can't remember anymore and it's too many to count.

I'm aware that having a puppy is going to be a handful. You have to devote your time, especially on potty training. I live in an apartment, I do not have a patio, I go to work for eight hour periods, there will be times that she'll be left alone, and the vet told me not to take Chloe anywhere outside because of the risk of puppy diseases. Wow, isn't that really convenient?

I have no choice but to resort to disposable puppy pads. At first, I have no idea how to get her to pee or go potty on the pads, so i figured out on some ideas to accomplish this:

  • I'll watch her till she goes, catch her on the act, stop her, carry her to the pads, and praise her when she goes. 
  • Watch her EVERY minute, or even every second. Just one moment of not paying attention or looking, she will have an accident. 
  • Nature's Miracle, as the name implies, it works like a miracle. It removes stain and odors on carpets and floors that has been soiled by your pet.
  • Put a little piece of her poop on the pads, leave it there and let her smell it.
  • Change position of the pads. Chloe goes and relieves herself in the pads, but she also had a lot of accidents in a certain corner of my apartment, so I decided to put the puppy pads permanently on that corner.
  • Potty training aid. It's a spray with some kind of substance that attracts the dog to go and eliminate when they smell it.
It took me one to two weeks to house train Chloe. She goes in the pads now, but she still misses sometimes by a few inches from the pads.  Here are some important key points I learned from this whole process: Always praise when she eliminates on the right place; Be thorough in cleaning accidents, to make sure no trace is left and to make sure that they don't eliminate on that spot again; Consistency is the key; and lastly, Potty training never ends.

1 comment:

  1. wow! patience is really a good virtue...congrats:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...