Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Separation Anxiety

February 20, 2011 - Sunday
(entries were dated by the time it was composed)


Chloe has terrible separation anxiety. She hates the crate and exercise pen that I got her. Everything that separates her from me is considered an enemy. 

On our first night together, I left Chloe inside her pen and went to my bedroom to sleep. The first night was horrible, she cried and whined all night long. 

On our second night, I tried a different approach with her. I still placed Chloe on her pen, but I tried sleeping in the sofa so she knows I'm around. I ended up not getting enough sleep because of her whining. 

Third day, I went out for a bit to buy some stuff and i left her inside the pen as usual. On my way back, I"m still a couple of doors from my apartment and i could already hear Chloe's whining and screaming from afar, and in addition, I see a couple of children usually playing around the apartment complex gathering around my apartment door wondering what's happening inside.

Fourth night, I tried having Chloe sleep with me on my bed. Our night went really well and we slept peacefully for the first time. But I can't have her get used to that set up. The next day, I went to talk with some of my neighbors and asked if they are getting bothered by the noise, and they said it was fine and they're not bothered at all. Am I the only one thinking that her whining and screaming was really loud?

During her first week with me, I thought I'll  just let these things pass because she is still a puppy, and assumed that she only misses her mom and litter mates. I've tried some things I learned from research and advices from other people. Some thing I've tried was giving Chloe one of my shirt so that she could smell my scent on it, didn't work. I bought her a stuff toy of her size to substitute for her litter mates, didn't work either. I gave her a lot of toys and stuff to chew but she just ignores it. I also tried desensitizing her and making her get used to being by herself and not having me around, but I think that would take more time and patience than I expected.


Hey Dad, I want to play, so let me out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...