Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Spayed Dog

I got Chloe spayed last April 20, 2011. As much of you don't know, Spaying is the removal of a reproductive organ, either all of it or a considerably large part of it. The term spaying is used for the females while the term neutering is for the males. Both terms are often referred to as fixing or sterilizing.

You may think, why do such a drastic thing to your dog? Well I have reasons and it's for Chloe's own good. Spaying completely eliminates pregnancy. The birthing process itself can be dangerous. The dog will also have zero risk of pregnancy complications such as spotting, and no more monthly periods.

Spaying also helps decrease animal overpopulation. I went to an animal shelter once, there's really a lot of dogs in there that needs new homes, and it's not a pleasant sight at all. I also came from a country where a lot of stray dogs just roam around everywhere.

Benefits also includes a decrease in the occurrence of cancers, tumors and other illnesses.

As all of you know, I'm getting a second dog, a male one, and someone threw this question at me, "Why did you even bother spaying your dog when you're getting a male one? You have purebred dogs, you could have just let them mate, breed them, sell puppies, and make some good money."

First of all, I got Chloe to be my pet and to be my companion on my everyday life. I'm getting Maru, my second dog, to be her companion so that she'll have a playmate when I go away to work, and I'm planning to have Maru neutered also. I never intended to breed dogs. I think breeding is only for experienced people and requires a lot of work and commitment. 

I want what's best for my dogs especially the best of health and I think fixing them is a very responsible thing to do as a dog owner.

 Chloe really did well on her surgery, She has an incision and stitches on her abdomen which she is not allowed to lick.


 The cone on her head is to prevent her from picking on the wound and stitches. She hates the cone around her head but she had to keep up with it for a whole two weeks.


I'm tired and exhausted, it's time to doze off.

4 comments:

  1. on your blog you wrote that you got chloe spayed on 4/14?
    what age was she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aya: my bad, that was supposed to be April 20, she was 4 and a half months by then. why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi magic!
    this is aya...sorry for using different account names.
    just wondering, i have a shiba inu, female, yumi.
    she's only 3 months now.
    i keep reading 6 months is the optimal time to get dogs fixed...
    i'm so confused....LoL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fine. You should check out with your vet, I got Chloe fixed as soon as she finished with the series of vaccinations. From what i know, the optimal age for fixing is before six months, before her first period, and the earlier it is, the better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...