Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Freaking out on a vet day

Earlier this morning, I brought Maru to his first vet appointment with me, and Chloe tagged along with us as well because she badly needs a nail trim. I enrolled Maru in a puppy plan just like Chloe back then. This plan includes the vaccines, free vet exams, nail trims, boarding, daycare, and a 1 year worth of discounts. Pretty decent service if you'll ask me. 

And I love our vet, Chloe really likes her and warms up to her. It was funny that while we were waiting in the examination room, I just can't figure out why Chloe keeps on whining. I tried to give her some treats, she'll settle for a moment but then she will resume again with the whining. So what's the big ordeal? it seems like she hears the voice of the vet from the other room. When she came in to the exam room to greet us, Chloe greeted her with airplane ears which I don't see quite often, I need to capture a photo of that. Chloe don't greet everybody with that kind of joy, maybe she knows that our vet takes care of her really well and deserves a really warm welcome.

So, why was I freaking out? Maru got two dewormers from the visit earlier, one in liquid form and the other in tablet form.  After I fed the dogs their meal, Maru went to poop and to my surprise, there are a couple of dead worms on his stool including a really long one, maybe 4-6 inches. As nasty as it is, I think those are roundworms, though I'm not quite sure about what it is. I just realized that I can't really stand these things despite being a health professional. I didn't even bother taking a picture of it and cleaned it right away.

Just seconds after seeing those horrible worms, I called our vet and asked about the incident. She told me that it was the dewormer's job to kill the worms that are attached to the intestines and it's normal to pass it on their stools. So she was right earlier about how Maru's abdomen is bloated and the probability of having parasites on him.

I was not totally relieved after the call to our vet. Seriously, who will not get bothered when your dog is passing worms on his stool? But it helps a little knowing that it's a normal process. Maybe I was over reacting because this is the first time this happened and it didn't really happen with Chloe either. Well, I guess new puppy, new experiences.

2 comments:

  1. do you think chloe needs to deworm too?
    i heard they can transmit it to each other...
    i hope everything goes well with maru!
    he is SUPER CUTE!
    chloe, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Aya right? now that you mention it, I'll ask my vet if Chloe need to be checked up too, I think she's too thin for her size but she's already at almost 19 pounds.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...